CHICAGO (Sept. 12, 2020) - Chicago Fire FC (2-6-3, 9 points) scored two first half goals by Djordje Mihailović and Robert Berić in a 2-2 tie against Columbus Crew SC (7-1-3, 24 points) at Soldier Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Fire is the first team to score twice in a match against Columbus this season. The Crew, the top team in MLS right now, have only conceded four goals in 11 games.
In the 11th minute, a precise through ball from Alvaro Medran into space found a streaking Berić. The Slovenian striker’s cross to Mihailović led to a left-footed tap-in for his first goal of the season. Three minutes later, Berić netted his team-leading third goal of 2020 off a cross from Fabian Herbers.
In the second half, the Crew would strike twice. A corner kick in the 68th minute found U.S. international Gyasi Zardes whose header was deflected in by midfielder Fatai Alashe. Zardes then scored the equalizer in the 88th minute as the Crew was able to grab a point on the road.
Next on the schedule: Chicago Fire FC will begin the second phase of the continuation of play on the road versus Orlando City SC at Exploria Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 19. The match will begin at 6:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on WGN-TV and ESPN+ and transmitted locally in Spanish on 105.1 WOJO-HD2. The pregame show, presented by CIBC, will begin at 6:15 p.m. CT on ESPN+. Yesterday, the Fire announced a trio of upcoming games.
- Midfielder Djorjde Mihailović tallied his first goal of the season and the sixth of his professional career. Mihailović left the match in the 22nd minute with an ankle injury.
- Designated Player Robert Berić scored his team-leading third goal of the season after earning his first assist of 2020 on Mihailović’s tally. The forward was named today’s Heineken Man of the Match.
- Forward CJ Sapong returned to the field after missing the first phase of the continuation of play due to an excused absence. Sapong last played versus Vancouver Whitecaps FC on July 23 in the MLS is Back tournament in Orlando, Florida.
- Chicago Fire FC has teamed up with Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago and Ronald McDonald House Charities during the month of September to bring awareness to Kick Childhood Cancer. Player jerseys featured a yellow ribbon patch that represents Kick Childhood Cancer.
- CHI - Djorjde Mihailović 11th minute
- CHI - Robert Berić 14th minute
- CLB - Fatai Alashe 68th minute
- CLB - Gyasi Zardes 89th minute
Key attacking plays:
- CHI - Fabian Herbers 6th minute: Robert Berić collected the ball at midfield and slipped it through the right side to a sprinting Fabian Herbers. The German’s shot went just wide of the far post.
- CHI - Elliot Collier 65th minute: Collier held the ball on the left side and took a quick shot from close range that forced a reaction save from Columbus goalkeeper Eloy Room.
- CHI - Álvaro Medrán 77th minute: A ball in-behind found Medrán 1v1 against Room. The Spaniard attempted to chip the goalkeeper but his touch was too strong and narrowly went over the goal.
- CHI - Przemysław Frankowski 78th minute: After a nifty backheel from forward Ignacio Aliseda, Frankowski’s dangerous shot was saved by a diving Room.
- CHI - Przemysław Frankowski 86th minute: Elliot Collier played a ball to a darting Przemysław Frankowski whose shot was saved by a flat-footed Room. The rebound fell to Aliseda but his shot was deflected wide.
Key defensive plays:
- CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 50th minute: After a cross was headed up in the air by Zardes, midfielder Luis Diaz took a shot with pace that was saved by Shuttleworth.
- CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 51st minute: A corner kick from Pedro Santos found the head of defender Jonathan Mensah, but Bobby Shuttleworth was there to make a close-range save.
- CHI - Bobby Shuttleworth 54th minute: Shuttleworth made a diving save off a left-footed shot by Zardes.
Chicago Fire FC 2:2 Columbus Crew SC
- CHI - Mihailović (1) (Medrán 3, Berić 1) 11’
- CHI - Berić (3) (Herbers 1) 14’
- CLB - Alashe (1) (Zardes 2, Santos 5) 68’
- CLB - Zardes (8) 88’
- CHI - Medrán (Caution) 27’
- CHI - Navarro (Caution) 34’
- CLB - Mensah (Caution) 37’
- CHI - Herbers (Caution) 56’
- CLB - Afful (Caution) 70’
- CHI - Calvo (Caution) 71’
- CHI - Bornstein (Caution) 73’
Chicago Fire FC: GK Shuttleworth, D Sekulić, D Pineda, D Calvo ©, D Navarro (D Bornstein HT), M Mihailović (F Collier 22’), M Giménez, M Medrán, M Aliseda, M Herbers (M Frankowski 62’), F Berić (F Sapong 79’)
Subs not used: GK Sparrow, D Omsberg, D Bronico, M Azira, M Gutiérrez
Shots: 15 Shots on goal: 6 Fouls: 19 Offsides: 1 Corners: 3 Possession: 43.6%
Columbus Crew SC: GK Room, D Valenzuela, D Willaims, D Mensah, D Afful, M Alashe, M Artur, M Santos (F Adi 81’), M Etienne (M Mokhtar 75’), M Diaz (M Boateng 64’), F Zardes
Subs not used: GK Tarbell, D Cadden, D Keita, M Jimenez, M Berhalter, M Morris
Shots: 20 Shots on goal: 6 Fouls: 14 Offsides: 0 Corners: 12 Possession: 56.4%
Referee: John Freemon
Assistant Referees: Peter Manikowski, Ian McKay
Fourth Official: Fotis Bakos
VAR: Edvin Jurisevic